Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Worries & Woes of a Designer

Graphic Design can be very filling career field, but also very frustrating. I love my job and I genuinely love going to work every day. I love that I'm getting paid to play on an iMac 8-9 hours a day. Hands down, best degree for me! I hate, however, when clients have no idea what they want and are not satisfied with what I create for them; talk about Debbie Downer. I try not to let these few and far between moments get the best of me, but it's really difficult!

And fonts.
Don't EVEN get me started on fonts.
My professors in college did not prepare me for the printing side of Graphic Design, that's for sure. To all my fellow Graphic Designers, if you choose a script font, please make sure your fine lines and details are at least a point thick, otherwise it creates a world of woes for your printing company (aka ME!). And fonts like papyrus make me want to gag (Ugh..and the ever famous, ever evil Comic Sans). In college, I always thought choosing the cutest fonts is what made the design; yeah, no. Not when you're on the printing side. The simpler, the better. What you see on screen is NOT what's going to be printed. Just some things to keep in mind :)

I think I'm about done with my rant for today. Thanks for listening, BlogWorld.

Until next time...

2 comments:

The Young's said...

I think I'm wounded and I may no longer be able to read your blog. Papyrus is one of my FAV fonts!!! In fact, I printed most of our wedding programs and such with it!!! WHY NOT PAPYRUS?!?!

This is a problem for me. It may be a while before we can get our relationship back on track after that doosie.

PS, your hubs told me I should cry to you about my computer. It's dead... or at least in a coma at the moment. And I want a macbook... REAL bad.

christa said...

I feel ya, sister. Someone in my office used Papyrus... I wanted so badly to tell them it looked awful.

Post a Comment